The Design Engineer is responsible for researching, analyzing, and designing parts and assemblies for production needs using engineering and design principles and Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
Reports to CEO.
All employees of CZM-USA are expected to uphold our values at all times. We expect all employees to demonstrate:
- Enthusiasm for our business
- Simplicity in finding solutions
- Commitment to the client by always fulfilling our promises
- Innovation through continuous improvement
- Value and recognition of each other’s technical competencies
- Ethical behavior in all we business interactions
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in industrial or mechanical engineering.
- 2 years experience in Mechanical Design required.
- 2 years Experience in detailing mechanical components for fabrication required.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes required, including but not limited to Metal Cutting, Bending, Welding and Machining.
- Knowledge of different materials for mechanical design required, including but not limited to metals, plastics, heat treatment, and material pre and post-op treatments.
- Knowledge of machine elements required, including but not limited to fasteners, pins, bushings, bearings, gears, cables, pulleys, seals, cylinders, springs, couplings, keys among others
- Basic knowledge of the strength of materials required, with the ability to identify types of loads and stress (compression, tensile or shear) that a component could be subjected to and how to design the component to avoid failure.
- Experience with physical design and product development in context of manufacturing processes required.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software for Mechanical Design (such as SolidWorks) and Microsoft Office suite required.
- Communicates effectively with the production team to understand production challenges (e.g., part integration) and brainstorm sound design strategies to solve them.
- Researches design options, taking measurements and sketching possible solutions, and searching company systems for useable parts to address production challenge.
- Turns research ideas into technical plans for prototypes using computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-assisted engineering (CAE) software. Uses mathematical modeling to analyze short-term and long-term efficacy and cost effectiveness of the proposed design.
- Makes assembly models and drawings in Solidworks with all the information required for manufacturing.
- Makes 2D drawings in SolidWorks for machine and structural components according to CZM Standards.
- Makes 3D models in SolidWorks for machine and structural components.
- Prepares and maintains Bill of Materials.
- Revises 3D models and 2D drawings whenever necessary to solve problems in the field, in production, or to increase machine performance.
- Makes and revises Machine Manual and Technical Specs.
- Writes non-conformity reports of problems that may arise in the field or in production.
- Verifies drawings made by other Design Engineers, making sure they are free of mistakes and meet CZM Standards.
- Tests and modifies design solutions until product is ready for approval and installation in the manufacturing environment. Works collaboratively with production team and other engineers to ensure usability, safety, strength and reliability of solution.
- Communicates with vendors to modify drawings to meet production and client needs and specifications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Much of the work of this position is completed while sitting at a desk, using a computer and phone. Requires talking, hearing and visual acuity sufficient to perform these major functions.
- Some of the work of this position is conducted in the production environment, which requires mobility to navigate through the manufacturing shop, including bending and climbing.
- Occasionally includes reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting up to 25 pounds for office equipment, supplies and materials.